Monday, July 16, 2007

The night life...that's the life for me...

After a less than eventful Saturday afternoon of actual work in the sun, I found myself heading off in search of air conditioning, dark lighting, and a cold beverage in front of a baseball game. What better place to find all 3 of these things at the same time, you ask? Why, of course, silly....a BAR! But, alas, my peace was shortlived as I soon realized I was sitting across the way from 2 of the most annoying people Ever. Seriously, ever. Here's a helpful hint for anyone that wants to go out on a Saturday afternoon and not be annoying. Don't sit at the bar and brag about your "business" or talk about all the influential "boys" you have all over the place. Chances are if your friends are that important and/or influential, you wouldn't refer to them as "my boy so and so (insert stupid ass nickname here)." You fucking dolt. I didn't think I would even be able to finish my first beer; they made me that sick to my stomach. It was like a pissing contest of losers. But, since I'm no quitter, I stuck it out and they all eventually packed up and left. Thank God. 3 big beers later, and I headed out to meet my dad for his birthday dinner. Hey, at least I didn't get smashed and go!

After we had a very pleasant and comical dinner, I decided to make a trek an hour or so up the road to see my best friend and some other people for another birthday celebration. At the point of my arrival, it was 8:00. This is usually the time I'm either a) winding down for the night, or b) drunk to the point of not wanting to do anything. I'm an early riser and therefore my day starts a lot earlier than most. The people that start earlier than me? I think they call them unemployed and/or homeless. Or, in the case of my grandfather, retired. Anyway.....I roll in to his house and find him and his new bride watching a movie and getting ready to eat dinner. Enjoying my new role as Show Up Out Of the Blue and Demand Entertainment Friend, I provoke them to go out with me to meet everyone else. By 9:15, we were on the way downtown listening to the worst music ever drowned out only by The Loudest Talking Girl I've Ever Met. I had a headache within 10 minutes of meeting her. 10:30 rolls around to find us walking to yet another bar to see Jimmie's Chicken Shack (yes, the 90s band). They put on a hell of a show and it was really a good time. We're making laps back and forth to the bar and I'm chatting with an interesting girl inbetween making fun of people with my friend and the next thing I know, they flip the lights on. 2:30...and we didn't have to go home, but we had to get out of there. Fast forward to walking all the way back to the car to try to find someone to drive home and with it being too late to stop and buy beer, we're forced to go back to my friend's place and raid his fridge. We stayed up and talked and laughed and told stupid stories and played the stereo too loudly and when I heard the first birds of the morning start chirping, I politely informed them that I was going the hell to bed. 5:15 am is late enough for me. Of course, then morning J. kicked in and I was up at 8:30 and pacing the apartment wondering when they were going to get up and fix breakfast. By 10:30, I was back on the road to my house and ready to get on with the day. But, by Sunday evening....I. Felt. Old. I mean, drained, man.....

The moral of this story? Apparently if I'm going to go out and live it up on the weekends and experience how "normal" people go out and do things, I'm gonna have to get a job on the graveyard shift......

2 comments:

Ha Ha Sound said...

So, did you get the digits of the girl that you were chatting up at the bar? And who is Jimmie's Chicken Shack? Never heard of 'em. Anyway, sounds like a fun Saturday night.

TK said...

I can stay up that late maybe twice a year. Mabye.

Jimmy's Chicken Shack? Seriously? They still play? That's strangely awesome.

I love being "Show Up Out Of the Blue and Demand Entertainment Friend". I usually do it when my wife is working, and I get bored. It's fun, if your friends aren't doing anything important. As in "having sex". Not that that's happened. Um...